Milford House has twelve bedrooms (eight Principle bedrooms, House Keepers bedroom and four servants bedrooms) and six bathrooms. Unusually the servants bedrooms were on same floor as the main bedrooms and were located at end of corridor. Every bedroom had plumbed in washstands. The bedrooms are undergoing representation and being furnished accurately according to Milford House auction catalogue.
BEDROOM
This bedroom is furnished according to 1930 Milford House catalogue of items that were in the room
This bedroom originally had a mahogany four poster bed with hangings. The current magnificent bed is on loan from Brighton and Hove Museum and is known as ' The Kings Bed' replaces the original lost bed. This bed used to be on display for many years in King George IV bedroom at Brighton Pavilion until it was replaced by an actual bed that belonged to George IV. The bed hangings on bed also come from Brighton Pavilion.
The bed linen belonged to Princess Mary came from Harewood House. It is Irish linen and was a wedding present to the Princess from the people of Northern Ireland.
The bed steps also doubles up as a commode and matches the commode listed in this bedroom. It came from Kensington Palace.
The pictures in the room are:
Watercolour of Dog
Two Samplers
St. Paul ethcing
John Huss (who was known to be extreme ugly!)
Engraving Landseers Deer
The Minton toilet set comes from The Palace of Holyroodhouse Edinburgh. Although every bedroom in Milford House had plumbed in washstand and ensuite bathrooms, interestingly the auction catalogue lists six large toilet sets and six small toilet sets.
The pair of early 18th Century Dutch marquetry high back single chairs, inlaid flowers, foliage and insects, fitted loose trap needlework seats on cabriole legs with ball and claw feet. These belonged to Sir Roy Strong the former Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum, they came from his Herefordshire country house – the Laskett.
Bedroom
Bedroom
This bedroom is undergoing representation and it is hoped to acquire bedroom furnishings which matched those lost in November 1930 Milford House Auction.
Most of the items in the room belong to William McCrum Miller and his wife Peggy Collins family. Harriette McCrum married the Rev. David Miller and their son William McCrum Miller was Resident Magistrate for Countty Tyrone. He was the grandspn of Robert Garmany McCrum of Milford House
The brass bed came from the Bowes Museum. It matchese those listed in the 1930 Auction catalogue- of the seven principal bedrooms- five had brass beds.
Did you know Brass beds were considered healthier by Victorians because bed bugs like wooden beds they dont like brass!
All the Irish bed linen belongs to William and Peggy Miller- it has their initials woven into each sheet and pillow case (for Laundry purposes!)
The Quilted bed hanging was made by Peggy Miller who won awards for her embroidery. It hung above William and Peggy's bed in Omagh and in turn above the bed of their son Rev. John W. McCrum Miller and his wife Joan Chai until they generously donated it to Milford House in 2017.
Peggy had an Aunt called Agatha Bachelor affectionately known as 'Aunt Bat' who went to China at end of nineteenth century and brought back many important things. These passed to Peggy her favourite god-daughter so Milford House has an important collection of costumes brought back from China by 'Aunt Bat'.
William McCrum Miller was a member of the Armagh and Tynan Hunt before Second World War. and kept a horse at Drumsill House so you can see his hunting hat on display.